We’ve been digging through our archive of old campus masterplan photos and found a few images that show the campus throughout the years. This month we’re focussing on The Great Hall.
The building was designed by Alfred Waterhouse R.A (famed for his works on the Natural History Museum in London) in red pressed brick and had dressings of Bolton Wood stone in a Gothic Collegiate style.
This collegiate style used by Alfred Waterhouse helped to coin the term red brick university. The Gothic style Great Hall incorporated the university’s main library and cost around £22,000 to build which was raised partly by public appeal. It was originally used as the main University Library until the opening of the Brotherton Library in 1936 and other areas which opened in the same period such as the Parkinson Building. As well as being the location for the ceremonial occasions, it was also used for meetings, exams and public lectures.
The Great Hall was opened in October 1894 by the Duke and Duchess of York.
(Source, Wikipedia: “The Great Hall University of Leeds” )
Now: The Great Hall (2017)
The Great Hall is the focus for the University’s ceremonial activities, principally the main degree presentation ceremonies.
Join our mailing list
You can see more now and then images by subscribing to the Campus Developments email newsletter.